Monday, January 02, 2006

Sandwich Geometry

We all have fond memories of the foods we ate as children, and if those yummy PB&Js happen to be cut diagonally then that is probably what we prefer as adults. But try to serve a diagonally cut PB&J to a child who is used to the down-the-middle style of sandwich and you will immediately have a meltdown on your hands…not to mention lots of PB&J on your hands (and on the walls and on the floor…).

Back when I only had one beloved offspring I presented lavishly cut sandwiches as an early lesson in shapes. Yes, my dear son learned the difference between a square and a triangle. He also learned that mommy will spend lots of extra time and waste lots of extra bread while making his lunch. I sentenced myself to a lifetime (or at least to the length of an early childhood) of fun-shaped sandwiches. Apparently I had set a precedent.

Most children will swear that their preferred shape of sandwich tastes better. Maybe it has to do with the amount of air that hits the contents of the bread. I’ve done taste comparisons and honestly can’t taste any difference. But I’m not a four-year-old so my results are irrelevant.

It’s not just sandwiches, either. Apparently Mac and Cheese must only be made with elbow macaroni. Try using ziti, wagon wheels or spirals and chances are it will be refused – loudly. And chances are you’ll be up late making cheese sandwiches for your starving child. Triangular ones, of course.

No comments: